September 5-13, 2015
We invite you to join renowned writer and scholar Peter Frost on a unique adventure through the heartland of the Incan Empire. This lodge-based cultural and light-hiking adventure explores the fascinating world of Inca royalty as we discover legendary sites in Peru’s Sacred Valley as well as hidden treasures that travelers rarely see. Throughout our journey, Peter will share his extensive knowledge of Incan history, culture, and customs, and bring their world to life. Join us for an explorer’s adventure in an incomparable setting!
- Explore the extraordinary country estates built by the 9th Inca king Pachacuti, the “Transformer of the World”—including Machu Picchu!
- Visit Huchuy Cusco, the remote and immense former royal estate of the Inca king Viracocha and one of the largest of its time
- Hike among the water temple and agricultural terraces of Tipon, set at the foot of Pachatusan, one of the spectacular sacred peaks of the Cusco Valley
- Explore the fascinating sunken terraces of Moray
- Enjoy daily talks and lectures that grant you insights into the intriguing history of the Incas
- Overnights in beautiful hotels, including the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, the only hotel right at the ruins
Peter Frost, a long time friend of Wilderness Travel, is the author of four books on Peru and Ecuador including Exploring Cusco, the classic guide to the Cusco region. In 2001 and 2002, he led a series of National Geographic-sponsored expeditions into the remote Vilcabamba, locating and exploring the previously unknown Inca and pre-Inca site of Qoriwayrachina. A learned authority on the Incas, Peter lectures extensively on the history and culture of Peru and the Incas. We are thrilled to share this uniqe trip with you!
We felt very lucky to have Peter as our guide. His knowledge of the Incas so enhanced our trip! He was also fun to be around and conveyed his sense of the Incas’ spiritual and aesthetic connection with the mountains, rivers, stones, and stars in a way that was very moving.Joel and Charlotte R., Santa Rosa, CA