Trip Details at-a-Glance
|Lodging:||13 nights aboard 106-passenger expedition vessel|
|Meals:||All meals included aboard ship|
|Activity:||Small Ship Cruising, Sea Kayaking|
13-day cruise, cultural explorations and walking tours
Choosing the Right Trip
We work hard to help you choose the right trip for you, paying attention to your individual interests, abilities, and needs. If you have questions about the level of comfort or any of the activities described in this itinerary, please contact us.
We are proud to have an exceptionally high rate of repeat travelers. For more information, we would be happy to put you in touch with a client who has traveled with us.
Join us for a thrilling journey across the Arctic to the land of Vikings, fjords, and magnificent landscapes. The glaciers and abundant wildlife of Spitsbergen, Greenland’s remote eastern coast, with its musk oxen and remains of ancient Thule settlements, the towering mountains and icebergs of Scoresbysund, optional sea kayaking—they’re all on this spectacular adventure!
Longyearbyen, Norway / Embark Sea Spirit
Arrive in Longyearbyen and embark on the Sea Spirit.
Exploring Spitsbergen, the largest of the Norwegian-ruled Svalbard islands, rewards us with abundant wildlife and austere beauty. We visit spectacular glacier fronts and steep-walled fjords with walrus, polar bear, and Spitsbergen reindeer among the possible wildlife sightings. Birders will be thrilled to see Arctic terns, skuas, long-tailed ducks, kittiwakes, and glaucous and ivory gulls. As an added bonus, when conditions are right, we might sail within 10° of the North Pole!
Sailing the Greenland Sea
While sailing the historic Greenland Sea, we learn about the wildlife and history of Greenland, our next stop. On deck we learn to identify seabirds on the wing, and inside we share photos, sip an icy cocktail in the bar, or watch a movie; there are many things to do during our time at sea.
Greenland’s remote eastern coast
During our tour of Greenland's remote eastern coast, we enjoy Zodiac cruises and shore visits to several locations. We visit the remains of ancient Thule settlements and keep an eye out for grazing musk oxen, as 40% of the world's population of this fascinating mammal lives here. Finally, we sail through spectacular Scoresbysund, where we encounter massive icebergs and an ancient Thule settlement as we approach Sydkap and Øfjord. The scenery here is unimagineable, with towering mountainsides and hundreds of apartment-size icebergs playing tricks with our sense of perception.
Sailing the Denmark Strait
The Denmark Strait is our pathway east, toward Iceland. Our onboard Expedition Team keeps us informed and entertained with presentations about the history of exploration in the Arctic and the seabirds we inevitably see soaring above the ship.
Disembark in Akureyri / Fly home via Reykjavík
Our adventure ends at the port of Akureyri. From here we fly to the domestic airport in Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital. We provide a transfer to the city center if you wish to explore this great city. Depart on homeward-bound flight.
2014 Cruise Collection Brochure
We’ve searched the world to find the finest small ships and most active adventures, from Greenland to Sumatra to the great rivers of Europe. Download our beautiful new Cruise Collection Brochure! Or request a printed copy to be sent by mail, or by calling 800-368-2794.
What the Trip is Like
The trip is rated Level 1, Easiest, and is appropriate for anyone in good health who is physically active. Zodiac landing crafts are used to explore the coastline and transport passengers ashore for walks to wildlife sanctuaries and the remains of ancient settlements. Some agility is required for getting in and out of the Zodiac landing crafts. Options for sea kayaking are available.
Aug 1-14, 2014 Sea Spirit
2014 Cruise Rates by Cabin Category
Per person, double occupancy
|Main Deck Suite||$9,995|
Single supplement: 70% for Main Deck, Classic, and Superior Suites, 100% for Deluxe Suite and above
If you sign up as a single but are willing to share, the ship operator will try to match you with a same-sex roommate. If there is no one to share a cabin with you, you pay only the per person cabin rate above.
Trip Cost Includes:
- Transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation
- On embarkation day, transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship
- On disembarkation day, flight from Akureyri to the domestic airport in Reykjavik and transfer to downtown Reykjavik
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks on board throughout your voyage. (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled
- Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
- An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- A complimentary selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard ship
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person
- In-room safe, refrigerator, satellite telephone access, TV/DVD, individual temperature control in every cabin
Trip Cost Does Not Include:International airfare, voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew, adventure options that are not included in the cost of the voyage, baggage, cancellation, interruption, and medical travel insurance, excess baggage charges, laundry and other personal charges, telecommunications charges, passport and any applicable visa expenses, government arrival and departure taxes.
Trip Payment Schedule*
At time of reservation: 20%
130 days prior to departure: Balance
*Please note that this differs from our regular catalog departures.
Arrival & Departure Information
Arrival & Meeting Place
Sea Spirit, Longyearbyen, Norway
Date: August 1, 2014
Suggested flight arrival time: 2:00pm
Ship departure time: 5:00pm
Suggested Arrival Airport
Longyearbyen, Norway (airport city code LYR)
We strongly suggest that clients arrive Longyearbyen one day before the trip begins to allow for unforeseen flight delays. A transfer from the ship to a hotel in Longyearbyen on July 31 is included in the trip cost. Also, a transfer from your hotel to the ship on August 1 is included. Please inform us of your flight plans as soon as they are available.
Date: August 14, 2014
Suggested flight departure: Afternoon
Disembark after breakfast and transfer to the airport for return flights home.
Suggested Airport for Departure
Reykjavik, Iceland (airport city code KEF)
One of the most spacious and luxurious expedition vessels in operation, the Sea Spirit carries a maximum of 112 guests in all outside-facing suites with marble-appointed bath facilities, picture window or portholes, walk-in-closet or wardrobe, in-room safe, refrigerator, and satellite telephone access. All cabins have TV/VCR and individually controlled thermostats. This outstanding expedition vessel offers two large lounges, fine dining, a hot tub, library, gym, and elevator access to all passenger levels. In addition to the team of guest lecturers, the Sea Spirit has a resident photographer to assist on deck and on shore. A fleet of sturdy inflatable landing crafts is used for shore excursions.